- 1/2 cup cracked, fine-ground wheat
- 2 bunches parsley, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. mint leaf, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 small cucumbers, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 tsp. allspice
- pinch cloves
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed in mortar with salt
Place cracked wheat (burghol) in pan and cover with water. Bring just to boil. Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, chop vegetables. Strain wheat and press out all water possible. Place in salad bowl. Add parsley and garlic. Mix well. Add all other vegetables, spices, and lemon juice. Mix well. Add olive oil and adjust seasonings. Press tabooli down in bowl and refrigerate until serving, at least one hour. Fluff before serving. Bowl may be garnished with lettuce leaves.
Note: dried mint may be substituted for fresh.